That is a quite popular search term in Google so I decided to give an answer and in order to do so you need to answer those questions:
1.Are you just visiting Tallinn for a short period or you are moving to Tallinn?
2.Are you traveling alone or with family and kids?
3.Do you need to use a car while in Tallinn or prefer to walk and do not plan to go to long trips in the surrounding area?
If you are coming for a short trip and do not plan to use a car then Tallinn Old Town and Tallinn City center areas are perfect for you as all the sightseeing spots are nearby and for the ones that are a bit further you can use the Hop on- Hop off buses.
In Tallinn Old Town be prepared for:
- Uneven street surfaces as cobbled streets and narrow passages
- Most buildings will not have an elevator the ones that have might be old and narrow one which will be adventure to ride
- On lower floors, there might be occasional smell from the pipes as they are quite old and expensive to change
- Apartments on some streets might get bit more noise during the weekends due to the fact that nightclubs and bars are located in the Old Town
- Parking spots are rare and very expensive
In the Tallinn City Center you can expect:
- Modern new buildings and apartments
- Elevators and no smell from pipes
- Bit longer walks to the Old Town sightseeing spots
- You can even find a parking spot in a garage
- More family friendly situations (fewer bars, elevators, better infrastructure)
If you plan to move to Tallinn for a longer period there are a lot more areas to choose from and you will have to answer another set of questions: Apartment or house? Budget ? Distance from the city center? Need parking? New or old building?